The Affordable Health Care Act is an issue many people disagree about. I don’t want to go into politics, but I do want to say how grateful I am that insurance must pay for our treatment. Finally, mental health issues are being considered a true illness. Thank you for sharing Victoria. This post is full of useful, timely information. If you haven’t checked out 800recoveryhubblog, I encourage you to visit. It is especially helpful if you are in search of mental health resources.
Health Insurance for Substance Abuse and Mental Health Quick Sheet:
- Millions of people with drug and alcohol abuse problems are now eligible for treatment through the Affordable Care Act.
- Under the Affordable Care Act, all health insurance plans are required to cover substance abuse treatment as one of 10 “essential health benefits” specified in the law. This elevates substance abuse services to the same level as pediatric care, cancer treatment and childbirth.
- Drug and alcohol abuse should now be approached as a disease with the same protocols of screening, detection and preventative care as heart disease or diabetes.
- Substance use disorders, far less severe than addiction, are now covered.
- If you buy an insurance policy though the healthcare.gov site, the plan you pick will have mental health services as a part of the coverage. This is not optional, it is a mandate for the insurance policies.
- If you qualify…
View original post 837 more words